Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

01/23/10

My father-in-law reminded me of my sustained absence on this blog; my initial hope was to make it a daily discipline. Still, good intentions are harder to come by these days...

I've been somewhat depressed and vexed the past couple of days. The question of vocation looms large in my mind. Having recently graduated from college, I'm certainly not alone here. Many of us are trying to lay low while this wounded economy slouches toward some kind of recovery. My own qualms regard my particular calling. A "calling" is now a well-worn cliche, tread by many a preacher and evangelist, but the term is not yet so muddied as to be incommunicable. By calling I mean a particular line of work peculiar to my talents and proclivities that will serve in some small way to further the kingdom of God.

I called my Dad in an inspired fit of self-pity. He drew my attention to my motives and after I was done blushing, he proffered Proverbs 3:5-6. Familiar verses which I had yet to truly consider, much less implement in my own life. I've been reading them every day and attempting to understand what it means to not lean on one's own understanding. If that sounds like an oxymoron, I'm in good company with many esteemed theologians, though they would probably call it a paradox. At any rate, I won't be content to settle for anything less than a life of service to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels